Monday 19 December 2011

London: A Day-by-Day Recount

XI.


This morning I was very excited as it was the opening of the RCA Secret Show. I caught the tube over to Kensington, grabbed a coffee and headed to the exhibition. It was a show with 2500 postcard-sized artworks by students of the Royal College of Art and also some by famous artists like Tracey Emin and Yoko Ono, the interesting thing being that they were all painted anonymously so one had to try and pick which artwork belonged to who. After a few absorbing hours in the gallery I met Carly and Daini for some sushi in Southbank. We walked along the Christmas markets and then went back to Joe's for another evening of some drinks on the roof in good company. A few hours later Simone and Aislinn turned up and we strolled around King's Cross before I headed back to Homerton.


XII.


Having not explored the whole of the Portobello Markets on the first occasion, I decided it was worth another visit. Again I was tempted by some great clothes and jewelry, however I managed to resist and was happy to just admire instead. For lunch I dined alone in a French restaurant, Goode & Wright, and had a sensational meal and enjoyed the ways of the beautiful, gay, French waiter. As I'd promised to my parents I would visit their old abode, I walked to Kensington that afternoon and had a look at 30 Elsham Road. 
In typical London style I went to the local pub (the Elderfield) that evening and drank cider with Chris and his crazy but extremely likable Irish friends, James and Jane. 


XIII.


I was woken up by a delicious coffee from Remy at the local Chatswood Road market. From Homerton I took the tube to Maida Vale and met Lisa, Graeme, Lulu, Nina and their Australian cousin Claudia who I would be spending the next few weeks with. We drank tea, ate some birthday cake and had a very enjoyable evening reminiscing on the days they lived in Sydney and the times had with the Wolffs. We sat around the table for hours as Graeme, the house-dad, cooked us dinner and served us generous amounts of wine to make the evening even more enjoyable.


XIV.


Having spent many days in the past at the cricket with dad, I felt it necessary to visit Lords and have a look at the greatest cricket oval in the world. I then spent a few hours reading by the lake in Regents Park, and later Hyde Park. I found a very cute lunch spot on the edge of Kensington, Le Petit Cafe, and the woman made me a delicious plate of mixed salads and an espresso to finish off the meal. Though it may sound dull, I am a serious sock fanatic and in Kensington that afternoon I found a great Japanese sock shop where I bought some colourful new items for my drawer!


XV. 


From Maida Vale that morning I walked the 10km to the Tower of London and spent the day exploring the tourist hotspot. The crown jewels found in glass cabinets inside the tower were the most interesting part of the whole experience. It became quite creepy as the clouds came over and the ravens were flying around the old buildings where once upon a time many criminals were held and later hung. Tired from my walk I went back home in the early afternoon and read Emma. Claudia and I tuned in to some exciting episodes of NCIS that evening and indulged in some mouthwatering minstrels (a bigger, tastier versions of smarties)!







No comments:

Post a Comment